.MNU vs. .CUI

Ask questions or search for answers about CNM here.
New topics: Please search existing topics first. If a new topic is needed, please give it a useful title.

Moderators: dw, hawstom, PhilWill

.MNU vs. .CUI

Postby James M » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:06 pm

Does the new format with .cui alter or corrupt the process with CNM? I am having a problem running notes with civil 3d, and cad 2008. I can place notes without any problems, but when the notes are tabulated on the one sheet, I get a mess of linework and text. I also get an error message that says it can't find info in the .dat file for the grid, or text. Any suggestions for this?

I have noticed that if you open a drawing in 2008, you must utilize the 2008 version for drawings. Do I need to convert the blocks to the 2008 version drawing format?
James M

Postby hawstom » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:18 pm

Thanks for posting your questions.

The CUI format is known to work fine with CNM.

Would you be able to check your block insertion units? See

http://constructionnotesmanager.com/for ... hp?p=35#35

Tom
Tom
hawstom
Site Admin

Postby James M » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:12 am

That was the ticket. We had changed the units to unitless for the insertion of the note blocks, and now have changed the units per each sheet. Good to go, Thanks!
James M

Postby hawstom » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:41 am

Cool! Two thumbs up.

Tom
Tom
hawstom
Site Admin

Postby James M » Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:04 pm

Ok, that worked on drawings that already have the notes placed, such as old files. I am having the same issue with new drawings that we place notes in for the first time. I get stacked linework and large text. this is what i get as the error message.

Maximum rows of notes <99>:
Settings for "NOTESKEYGRID" not found in LAYERS.DAT. Using current layer.
Settings for "NOTESKEYQTYS" not found in LAYERS.DAT. Using current layer.

All settings are set to unitless, in the options, and per sheet. Any suggestions?
James M

Postby hawstom » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:16 pm

The LAYERS.DAT error is interesting, but unrelated to this issue. While we are talking , you might tell me whether you have a customized version of LAYERS.DAT. And you might want to add these lines to it:

Code: Select all
(NOTESKEYGRID"      "CNM-KEYGRID"       "13"                 "")                ;CNM Key Notes table grid.
("NOTESKEYQTYS"      "CNM-KEYQTY"        "2"                 "")                 ;CNM Key Notes table quantities attributes.

Now, regarding your block scale problem, I can tell it is still the same issue because that is the only way the table could have the text all jumbled up in a small space. If it were a dimscale problem, the whole table would be tiny or huge.

I believe you need to find a way to make sure that the units in a drawing are unitless. Edit your prototype, your template, or do something like this in your startup lsp files so it's always unitless:

Code: Select all
(mapcar
  '(lambda
    (x)
    (if (/= (cadr x)(getvar (car x)))(setvar (car x)(cadr x)))
    (princ)
  )
  (list
    (list "insunits" 0)
    (list "insunitsdefsource" 0)
    (list "insunitsdeftarget" 0)
  )
)

Another possible option is to open the NOTEQTY.DWG and set its units to FEET. I haven't tried that.

Let me know how it goes or if you'd like a little more guidance on the use of startup files.

Tom
Last edited by hawstom on Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom
hawstom
Site Admin

Postby James M » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:33 am

I have gone back to an older drawing, and found that the missing layers issue has always been there. The drawing is able to produce the phased quantities with-out any problems. So that does not seem to be the problem with the civil 3d scaling issue.

I have changed the scale on the noteqty.dwg to unitless, and the phasing block we have to unitless, and everyunits to unitless. I am still getting the same outcome with phasing. The interesting thing is that on older drawings that already have phasing, run fine in civil 3d. We are only having the issue with newly created drawings with civil 3d.
James M

Postby James M » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:47 am

Here is something more interesting. I have created a new drawing with cad 2005, ran the phasing notes, saved and closed. I opened the drawing in civil 3d 2008 and was able to run phasing with-out the scaling problem.
Any ideas?!?
James M

Postby hawstom » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:09 am

Nope. Only that it's definitely the units thing. Did you try setting the units in the blocks to Feet?

Tom
Tom
hawstom
Site Admin

Postby James M » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:12 am

I did try the units at feet, with no change. I will continue to play with it and see what scale is not being changed.
James M

Postby James M » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:41 am

There is another place that you set scale within C3D2008 that I didnt know about. Right click the drawing name in the settings tab of the prospector, and you get drawing settings that show drawing units. There is an option to scale the objects inserted from other drawings that was checked. This needs to be unchecked in order for the noteqty.dwg to come in correctly. You also need to make sure the uniform scale is checked for inserting blocks.

I have ran notes in C3D2008 now without the scale problem.
James M

From Phil Williams

Postby hawstom » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:52 am

Nice work!!

Phil Williams, P.E.
R.B. Williams &amp; Associates Inc.
Tom
hawstom
Site Admin

Postby hawstom » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:52 am

Thanks for documenting!

Tom